Oprah’s Book Club 2.0 Announces Its Second Selection, ‘The Twelve Tribes of Hattie’ by Ayana Mathis
LOS ANGELES, CA and NEW YORK, NY, and TORONTO — OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network and O, The Oprah Magazine announce the newest Oprah’s Book Club 2.0 selection, The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis (Knopf). In her extraordinary debut, Mathis tells the story of the children of the Great Migration through the trials of one indomitable heroine (Hattie) and her unforgettable family. The novel has earned starred pre-publication reviews from Publishers Weekly, Kirkus and Booklist.
“The opening pages of Ayana’s debut took my breath away,” said Winfrey, OWN CEO, “I can’t remember when I read anything that moved me in quite this way, besides the work of Toni Morrison.”
In addition to being available in bookstores nationwide, special Oprah’s Book Club 2.0 digital editions of The Twelve Tribes of Hattie, with exclusive content including a reader’s guide and Winfrey’s notes on her favorite passages, will be available for Amazon Kindle, NOOK by Barnes & Noble, on the iBookstore and everywhere e-books are sold.
Click here for a message from Oprah (link with embed code):
The cross-platform book club’s second selection kicks off with Winfrey’s interview with Mathis in the January issue of O, The Oprah Magazine (on sale today), where Mathis shares her reaction upon receiving the call from Winfrey revealing that her book had been chosen. ”Really?” asked Mathis in disbelief, “This is really Oprah Winfrey?”
As readers complete their journey through The Twelve Tribes of Hattie, an exclusive interview with Winfrey and Mathis will simulcast Sunday, February 3 at 11 a.m. ET/PT on OWN’s Emmy Award-winning series “Super Soul Sunday,” on Oprah.com and OWN’s Facebook page (facebook.com/owntv) and on Oprah Radio’s “Oprah’s Soul Series” (Sirius 204, XM 111).
Throughout December and January, readers can further engage online at the book club hub (oprah.com/bookclub) and through a variety of digital and social media platforms:
- Oprah.com will feature a series of original webisodes with Winfrey and Mathis, a reading guide as well as Winfrey’s personal thoughts about her favorite passages from the book.
- Readers will also have the opportunity to answer weekly questions via Twitter, Facebook and Instagram using the Mass Relevance platform. A stream of reader tweets (#OprahsBookClub), Facebook posts, and Instagram photos from around the world will provide a snapshot of what participants are thinking, feeling and sharing as they read the book together.
- Mathis will answer readers’ questions via the popular VYou social video platform.
- The official Oprah’s Book Club 2.0 group on Goodreads, one of the largest websites for book lovers with 13 million members, will feature content and encourage discussions about the new book club selection. (Goodreads.com/OprahsBookClub).
- Using the mobile messaging application GroupMe, Oprah’s Book Club 2.0 will encourage readers to create personal mobile book clubs with their friends.
About Oprah’s Book Club 2.0
In June 2012, Oprah Winfrey reintroduced her popular book club as an interactive, multi-platform reading club that harnesses the power of social media, bringing passionate readers together to discuss inspiring stories. After being selected as the club’s inaugural book, Wild by Cheryl Strayed (Knopf) returned to the top of the New York Times Best Sellers list and spent six consecutive weeks at #1. The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis is the club’s second selection.
About OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network
A joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network is a multi-platform media company designed to entertain, inform and inspire people to live their best lives. OWN debuted on January 1, 2011 on what was the Discovery Health Channel and is in approximately 85 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform, Oprah.com. For more information, please visit www.oprah.com/own and www.press.discovery.com/us/own.
Short URL: http://woodlawnpost.com/?p=68400