DETROIT, Michigan– The state of Michigan has legalized the recreational usage of marijuana after voters approved a proposal in the November election.
Michigan becomes first Midwest state to legalize recreational marijuana. Adults over the age of 21 will be allowed to cultivate, possess and consume marijuana. You will be allowed to grow no more than 12 plants at your home.
You would be able to purchase the allowed amount of marijuana from a licensed business.
Businesses would be licensed by the state. The initiative allows cities to decide if they want to allow these businesses in their municipality. The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs probably won’t be able to issue such licenses until 2019.
Here are the license types that would be offered:
- Marijuana retailer
- Marijuana safety compliance facility
- Marijuana secure transporter
- Marijuana processor
- Marijuana microbusiness
- Class A marijuana grower authorizing cultivation of not more than 100 marijuana plants
- Class B marijuana grower authorizing cultivation of not more than 500 marijuana plants
- Class C marijuana grower authorizing cultivation of not more than 2,000 marijuana plants