STOCKHOLM, Sweden — Spotify rolled out the features of its latest acquisition of Betty Labs, the creators of Locker Room, which marked the addition of live audio as part of the Spotify ecosystem. A move to provide yet another opportunity for creators of all types to connect with their fans more deeply and meaningfully.
“Since bringing the Locker Room app into the fold, we’ve been working to expand its capabilities, with the goal of creating a live audio experience that will delight creators and listeners everywhere. And we wanted to do it with a Spotify twist that operated as an extension of the app already loved by 356 million listeners. That’s why we renamed it “Spotify Greenroom,” Founder and CEO, Daniel Ek, announced in an episode of the Spotify: For the Record podcast.
Spotify Greenroom is now available for the first time in its new form, available on iOS and Android in over 135 markets around the world. The app, rolling out today, includes:
- New app branding (aka Greenroom) and a new overall look and feel
- The ability for any user to host or participate in live rooms
- A way to join Greenroom using your Spotify log-in info
- A new onboarding experience that puts users’ interests front and center
- Recording capabilities so you can complement your on-demand content with live conversations
- Chat controls to ensure the best possible experience
Spotify also announced that it will be launching a Spotify Creator Fund, which will help live audio creators monetize their work. Anyone who is interested can sign up to find out more about participation when the Creator Fund opens later this summer.